The West Paterson Volunteer Fire Department's Rifle Camp Fire Company #3, nicknamed the "Ridge Runners," came into being 100 years ago in 1922 as a result of the foresight and hard work of a group of residents who realized a need for a third fire company.
The first meeting of the group was held in June 1922. The Passaic Valley Hose Co. #2 of West Paterson had received a new fire engine and offered its old engine to the Rifle Camp Road group, provided the latter would show enough interest to organize a fire company in accordance with the rules and regulations of the State of New Jersey.
In October of 1922, the Rifle Camp Fire Company's incorporation papers were completed and the engine was received from Hose Company #2. At this point, Cassons’ barn was selected to house the equipment, which was approximately a half-mile from the present site of the firehouse.
In April 1923, a deed was secured for a new firehouse from the Zurcher family. In May, construction of the new firehouse began. Selling bonds to interested parties derived funds for the building. The fire engine from Company #2 and the first requisition from the Borough — two pairs of boots, two rubber coats, one ax, two lanterns, and four five-gallon Indian tanks -— were obtained giving the company its start.
In the early days of the fire company, the Borough Council purchased a new REO Hose Wagon around 1926.